Thursday, June 17, 2010, 10:10 am :

Midyear update on books read so far:
  1. The Nostradamus Prophesies by Mario Reading
  2. The Vanished Man by Jeffrey Deaver
  3. The Keeper by Natasha Mostert
  4. The Stone Monkey by Jeffrey Deaver
  5. Scarpetta by Patricia Cornwell
  6. Jonathan Strange & Mr Norell by Susanna Clarke
  7. The Final Reckoning by Sam Bourne
  8. The Coffin Dancer by Jeffrey Deaver
  9. How Starbucks Saved My Life by Michael Gates Gill
  10. The Birthing House by Christopher Ransom
  11. Animal Farm by George Orwell
  12. 1984 by George Orwell (In slow process)
  13. Nightlight by The Harvard Lampoon
  14. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
  15. The Twelfth Card by Jeffrey Deaver
  16. The Cold Moon by Jeffrey Deaver (In process)
Not as many as I had hoped for but I think it is a consistent enough number of books to read over the previous 6 months.

It means an average of 2.5 books each month and 0.625 book per week.

Not too bad, considering there were many other distractions like playing games, travelling, hanging out, rotting around and of course, working.

Ok, I realised that I haven't really ranted about the stupid book, The Birthing House, but I think I'm just going to treat it as an unpleasant memory and forget about it. At least the subsequent books were good enough to get me back on the reading track.

Short personal feelings on the books

I should have just started with Animal Farm from the very beginning. I had that book since the end of time and it was just sitting there on my bookshelf. And the only reason why I picked that up was because I was going to attend the play on Labour Day.

It's not that I don't like the book. It's my all-time favourite book! I had read it sometime in Secondary School and so it is not very high on my priority to-read list. But re-reading it is really amazing. I get different insights because of my additional knowledge as compared to first time I read it. And as this book is binded together with 1984, I proceeded to read that one too.

Ah, not as smooth a journey though.

The theme is darker, the writing style is not as upbeat and the story is a little hard to digest in my opinion. I had been stuck on that for about 1.5 months and it is still moving VERY slowly.

Then we went to Australia and I brought along a book, Nightlight. Totally crazy book. A parody of the totally overrated Twilight series and it was really well-done. I think it totally brought out the stupidity of the original subject (treading on sensitive ground here, risking wrath from fanatic Twilight fans) and managed to make it funny at the same time. It's ridiculous, funny, nonsensical and nothing glamourous about the characters. They are depicted as wimpy, delusional and just like normal kids who are usually ignored because they are nerds or weirdos.

But it is just a very short story in which I'd finished in about 3 days. But on the plane back home, I watched a movie from the in-flight entertainment and got very intrigued. Yeah, the movie was The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Coming back home, I vaguely remembered that I did buy the book sometime back and started on it.

Very intriguing and very smart storyline. Although it's a trilogy, it doesn't leave you hanging at the end with some uncontinued story or loose ends. Granted, it doesn't disclose much of the main character's background but just enough to keep you intrigued and curious to continue the series.

And last but not least, I don't think I even need to talk about Jeffrey Deaver. Quoting my sister, 'Jeffrey Deaver and Tess Gerritsen gave us all sleepless nights'.

That is how compelling the storylines are.

Labels:



eaten by ^j|eQi^ Remember Me

GO HOME

understand me


JieQi.19MAY86.

Books.Mayday.KTV.Mahjong.Music.

idealistic cynic.

disappointed optimist.

social loner

babytaz_19@hotmail.com

"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others."

i am your worst nightmare and your best friend


go bug others

layhoon
sister
Regina
xinyi
mayanne
huilin
jiaming
chongwei
baoru
sunny
pearlin
meng
titus
christian
kutu
peiru
weeinn
wisely
wugui
rizuan
nicole


closeted - ANTM

ANTM
Cycle 11 Spoilers
FourFour
TVgasm
Television without Pity
All-ANTM
Modelville


food food food

A Gourmet Doctor - ieatishootipost
Eat Eaten Ate
Part-time ice cream hawker
Gourmet Food Travellers
Keropok Man


rewind

talk to me




ADS


Free Blog Counter



credits

Designer: Kookies
Coding references are from: Le. Romantique & Daybeforemisery(yarlythestarfish)
Brushes from: Aethereality
Textures from: Hybird Genesis
Template edited by: qi
Big thanks to DANGO DAIKAZOKU!