Wednesday, March 17, 2010, 10:08 pm :

Starbucks rambling & Book #10 - The Birthing House

Ok, for my Starbucks book - How Starbucks Saved My Life, I'm supposed to write a book review for the person who gifted it to me. Let me pen it down here before I forget them and have nothing to account for to him.

Let's start with the storyline of the book.

It is actually a biography of a person who had fallen from grace, aka the American Dream, and had to resort to getting a job in Starbucks as a barista. And along the way, he learnt and saw many things that his atas life had sheltered him from and he realised that he was much more happier as a Starbucks barista than when he was a high-flying guy in the advertising/marketing field.

Ok, after getting the facts out, time to put in my X cents worth.

I think that this may not be the conventional self-help genre kind of books but it is kinda in there somewhere. I'm trying not to dismiss it as something that I don't like but I could say that it is not the kind of book I'll rave about.

I have never been a fan of books that relate about a person's self-discovery. And this guy, Michael, known as Mike when he was a barista, kept going on about self-discovery. He was constantly reminiscing about his past when he had been great and almighty instead of focussing on the present. Of course, at the end of his journey, inevitably a happy ending, he managed to stay in the present and discard the past.

But hey, there are also redeeming factors of the book! It is not all that bad... For those who has no idea about how Starbucks works, it is a very good indicator and very telling of the actual situation in the organisation.

From my experience when I was working in Starbucks, I really did enjoy my time there. Just like Mike, I think that Starbucks creates a great space for people to be in. And it's not just about coffee, it is about the people. Starbucks treats us all fantastically. People who are more cynical than me may claim that it is all an act. Well, it could be an act but it definitely is working!

This book is actually strongly recommended for all Starbucks fan and all who wants to know more about Starbucks, this amazing organisation. When you read about Mike's experience as a barista, you will be a little thrilled to be able to identify with all that he mentions. Especially when he starts to relate about some things that he felt was difficult or challenging to him and you think, "hey, I did that before!"

He talks about how hates to do the register, which we call the POS (don't ask me what it is short for, I have no idea) and I quite enjoy doing it. Apparently in the US, they have this amazing machine that counts the money just by the weight, without them having to count it physically!

Then when he finally got to the bar and got confused over all the machinery and drink-calling sequence and so on, it is also exciting on my part to be able to relate to what he is saying.

Ok, starting to ramble. Starbucks is going to take over the world on day!

Book #10 - Christopher Ransom - The Birthing House

Labels: , ,



eaten by ^j|eQi^ Remember Me

GO HOME

understand me


JieQi.19MAY86.

Books.Mayday.KTV.Mahjong.Music.

idealistic cynic.

disappointed optimist.

social loner

babytaz_19@hotmail.com

"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others."

i am your worst nightmare and your best friend


go bug others

layhoon
sister
Regina
xinyi
mayanne
huilin
jiaming
chongwei
baoru
sunny
pearlin
meng
titus
christian
kutu
peiru
weeinn
wisely
wugui
rizuan
nicole


closeted - ANTM

ANTM
Cycle 11 Spoilers
FourFour
TVgasm
Television without Pity
All-ANTM
Modelville


food food food

A Gourmet Doctor - ieatishootipost
Eat Eaten Ate
Part-time ice cream hawker
Gourmet Food Travellers
Keropok Man


rewind

talk to me




ADS


Free Blog Counter



credits

Designer: Kookies
Coding references are from: Le. Romantique & Daybeforemisery(yarlythestarfish)
Brushes from: Aethereality
Textures from: Hybird Genesis
Template edited by: qi
Big thanks to DANGO DAIKAZOKU!